Stimulus Checks and Refunds in September 2023 States Offering Financial Assistance. While the level of direct financial assistance has dwindled, several states are still providing a much-needed boost to their residents. In this overview, we’ll delve into the states that continue to distribute stimulus checks and tax refunds in September 2023, shedding light on who is eligible and the amounts being disbursed.
Refunds for State Tax Liability
- Massachusetts residents have the opportunity to receive refunds equal to approximately 14% of their state tax liability.
- Eligibility criteria include having paid personal income taxes in Massachusetts for the 2021 tax year and filing a 2021 state tax return by September 15, 2023.
- Payments are typically sent about a month after filing the tax return, translating to September for those who filed in August.
- Eligible individuals will automatically receive their refund either by post as a check or via direct deposit. For further details.
One-Time Tax Refunds
- Over 2 million Minnesotans are set to receive one-time tax refunds, thanks to a recent tax law update.
- This legislation, signed in May, provides $520 payments for married couples filing a joint 2021 income or property tax return with an adjusted gross income of $150,000 or less.
- Individuals with a 2021 adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less will receive $260, while an additional $260 will be allocated for each dependent, up to three dependents.
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue anticipates initiating direct deposit payments first, followed by the distribution of paper checks by mail, starting in late September.
Property Tax and Income Tax Refunds
- Montana residents may be eligible for a property tax refund, with the potential to receive up to $675 per year of property taxes paid on their primary residence.
- Taxpayers can claim their 2022 property tax refund online through the TransAction Portal or by submitting a paper form before October 1, 2023.
- Furthermore, the state continues to issue individual income tax refunds, providing individual taxpayers with $1,250 or the amount on line 20 on Form 2, whichever is lower. Married couples filing jointly receive $2,500 or the amount on line 20, whichever is lower. Refund disbursements began in July and will extend through December.
Personal Income Tax Refunds
- New Mexico residents will receive a refund of $500 for single filers and $1,000 for taxpayers who filed or are filing a personal income tax return (PIT) for 2021 and are not claimed as dependents on another taxpayer’s return.
- According to the refund web portal, checks and direct deposits were dispatched in June. Eligible residents have until May 31, 2024, to file their 2021 PIT return to secure their refund. If filed last month or this month, they could expect to receive their money in September.
Working Families Tax Credit (WFTC)
- Washington state residents still have the opportunity to apply for the Working Families Tax Credit (WFTC), which offers payments ranging from $50 to $1,200.
In these challenging financial times, residents of these states have the potential to benefit from various forms of financial assistance, ensuring some relief in September 2023.