SASSA Grant Application Process for October 2023.Social grants are a vital lifeline for millions of South Africans who lack alternative income sources, helping them combat poverty. Over 18 million individuals currently rely on permanent social grants, which are administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA).
SASSA Grant Application Process for October 2023
These grants encompass child support grants, older persons’ grants, disability grants, war veterans’ grants, care dependency grants, grants in aid, and foster child grants. Additionally, SASSA oversees the Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grant on a temporary basis, with a focus on stringent eligibility criteria.
Determining Eligibility for Social Grants
SASSA assesses eligibility by conducting means tests to determine if an applicant’s income or assets exceed specific thresholds. Being employed doesn’t automatically disqualify an applicant from receiving a social grant. However, the means test must demonstrate that the applicant has very limited income or assets, based on the following income eligibility criteria:
Income Means Test Requirements
- Older persons, Disability, and War Veteran’s grant: Single applicants should not earn more than R 92,520 per year (R7,710 per month), while married applicants should have a combined income below R185,040 per year (R15,420 per month).
- Child support grant: Single applicants should not earn more than R57,600 per year (R4,800 per month), and married applicants should have a combined income below R115,200 per year (R9,600 per month).
- Care-dependency grant: Single applicants should not earn more than R 238,800 per year (R19,900 per month), while married applicants should have a combined income below R477,600 per year (R39,800 per month).
- Foster child grant: No Means Test Conducted.
- R350 SRD Grant: Individuals with a monthly income exceeding R624 do not qualify for the grant.
Applying for a SASSA Grant
If you meet the criteria for a permanent social grant, you have several application options:
You can visit your nearest SASSA office branch to submit your application. If you are unable to apply in person due to illness or old age, you can nominate someone to apply on your behalf. Alternatively, you can request a home visit by a SASSA official, who will assist you with completing the application forms and provide a receipt as proof of application.
SASSA also offers an online application process through their website. Here are the steps to submit your application online:
- Create an Online SASSA Account: Begin by creating an online SASSA account on their website.
- Visit the SASSA Services Page: Once your account is set up, go to the SASSA services page and select ‘Apply for a grant.’
- Follow the Prompts: Complete your application by following the prompts, which include providing your mobile number, South African ID number, and banking details for direct deposit of your grant money.
It may take up to three months for SASSA to process social grant applications. If your application is successful, the first payment will be made from the date of submission. If your application is unsuccessful, SASSA will provide written reasons for the rejection, and you have the option to lodge an application appeal within 90 days of being informed of the decision.
- Major NSFAS Appointment to Enhance Communication Ahead of 2024
- SASSA Child Grant Increase for 2024: What You Need to Know
- SASSA Old Age Grant Increase 2023-24 Insights into the Rise and Impact
- Chatsworth SASSA Moves Into New, Secure Premises
- How Much Pay NSFAS Allowances Will Be For December 2023
- SASSA SRD Grant Payment Dates November 2023 and Extended Support
- SASSA Announces R350 Grant Payment Schedule For November 2023
- Black Sash Engages Athlone Residents in SASSA Grants Dialogue
- Mastering Your SASSA Application Status Complete Guide
- How to Check SASSA R350 Grant in South Africa
- Current External Vacancies at SASSA in South Africa
- How SASSA Navigates Growing Grant Payments and Challenges in South Africa
sassa1 week ago
Post Office Blocked Sassa Card After Suspected Fraud
blog3 weeks ago
NSFAS Application Status and Meaning 2023-2024
sassa1 week ago
You Can Now Apply for a Basic Income Grant of R999
NSFAS News3 weeks ago
Nsfas Appeals For 2023 Now Open
sassa2 weeks ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for October 2023
sassa1 week ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for November 2023
sassa1 week ago
Finally New Grant of R999 for Basic Income Introduced
sassa2 months ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for September 2023