Minister Nzimande Reveals 2024 NSFAS Allowances for University Students. The Minister of Higher Education, Blade Nzimande, has disclosed the details of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances for university students in 2024. This announcement includes increases in NSFAS allowances, encompassing various aspects of student support.
Overview of NSFAS Allowances
As an integral part of the NSFAS bursary, students not only benefit from tuition coverage but also receive allowances for meals, accommodation, transport, and learning materials.
2024 NSFAS Allowances for University Students
- Amount: R16,500 per year
- Breakdown: R3,045 personal care allowance + R13,455 meal allowance
- Capped Amounts:
- R50,000 per annum for institution-owned or leased accommodation and private accommodation in metro areas
- R41,000 per annum for accommodation in other areas
- R66,500 per annum for institution-catered accommodation in metro areas
- R57,500 per annum for institution-catered accommodation in non-metro areas
- Exceptional Circumstances: Institutions in non-metro areas may request NSFAS to review accommodation allowance caps.
- Eligibility: Students making their accommodation arrangements or living with relatives
- Maximum: R7,875 per annum
Learning Material Allowance
- Amount: Maximum of R5,460
- Payment: Once-off at the beginning of the academic year for the purchase of books and devices
Allowances for Distance Learning Students
- Dependence: The allowances for distance learning students, such as Unisa NSFAS students, depend on the number of registered modules, with a maximum allowance of R5,460.
Allowances for Students with Disabilities
Assistive Device Allowance
- Amount: R50,000 once-off
- Additional Support: NSFAS funding for repairs and maintenance up to R2,000 per year
- Students with disabilities must apply for these allowances, and approval is contingent on meeting specified conditions and criteria.
Disbursement of NSFAS Allowances for 2024
- Upfront Payments: R4.2 billion will be paid to universities and TVET Colleges on 31 January for the 2024 academic year, covering registration and initial payments.
- Allocation: R1 billion to TVET Colleges and R3.2 billion to universities.
- Monthly Payments: For January, allowances will be paid monthly at the end of each month.
- February and March: Bi-weekly payments will be made instead of monthly.