How To Apply For a SASSA Grant Online in January 2024. Social grants are vital for sustaining the livelihoods of South Africans without alternative income sources. Administered by the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA), these grants cater to various needs, including child support, older persons, disability, war veterans, care dependency, grants in aid, and foster child grants.
Importance of SASSA Social Grants
Over 18 million people in South Africa rely on permanent social grants to mitigate the impact of poverty, highlighting the crucial role of these financial aids.
SASSA Grant Eligibility Criteria
SASSA employs means tests to determine eligibility, assessing if an applicant’s income or assets exceed specified thresholds. Employment does not automatically disqualify an applicant, but the means test must demonstrate limited income or assets.
SASSA Grants Income Means Test Requirements
Older Persons, Disability, and War Veteran’s Grant
- Single: Not exceeding R 92,520 per year (R7,710 per month)
- Married: Combined income not exceeding R 185,040 per year (R15,420 per month)
Child Support Grant
- Single: Not exceeding R 57,600 per year (R4,800 per month)
- Married: Combined income not exceeding R 115,200 per year (R9,600 per month)
- Single: Not exceeding R 238,800 per year (R19,900 per month)
- Married: Combined income not exceeding R 477,600 per year (R39,800 per month)
Foster Child Grant
- No Means Test Conducted
R350 SRD Grant
- Individuals with a monthly income exceeding R 624 do not qualify.
SASSA Grants Application Process
Applying at a SASSA Office
If you qualify for a permanent social grant, you can submit your application at your nearest SASSA office branch. Alternatively, someone can apply on your behalf, or you can arrange a home visit by a SASSA official.
SASSA Online Application Process
Create an Online SASSA Account
- Visit the SASSA website to create an account.
Submit Online Application
- Access the SASSA services page and click on ‘Apply for a grant.’
- Follow prompts, providing your mobile number, South African ID number, and banking details for direct deposit.
Processing and Payment
- It may take up to 3 months for SASSA to process applications.
- Successful applications receive the first payment from the application date.
- Unsuccessful applicants receive written reasons for rejection and can appeal within 90 days.
By following these steps, eligible individuals can navigate the application process for SASSA grants effectively.