An IRS warning about a new tax refund scam.There’s a new IRS scam making the rounds, and taxpayers need to stay vigilant. Some individuals have reported receiving cardboard envelopes in the mail containing the IRS masthead and a message related to an “unclaimed refund.” The IRS has issued a warning, cautioning that these mailings are a scam designed to deceive taxpayers into providing sensitive information to criminals. It’s important to note that the IRS never initiates contact via email, text, or social media regarding tax refunds or bills.
An IRS Warning About a New Tax Refund Scam
The fraudulent letters contain false contact details and request personal and financial information, including a detailed photo of the recipient’s driver’s license. Providing such information can expose individuals to identity theft and fraud. IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel acknowledges that this is just one of the many scams employed by criminals impersonating the IRS. Each year, the IRS releases a list of the top 12 “dirty dozen” scams to alert taxpayers.
In its recent warning, the IRS advises taxpayers to be wary of awkward wording and inaccurate information that can indicate a scam. Here are a few examples:
New IRS scam letter
Awkwardly worded requests “A Clear Phone of Your Driver’s License That Clearly Displays All Four (4) Angles, Taken in a Place with Good Lighting.”
“You’ll Need to Get This to Get Your Refunds After Filing. These Must Be Given to a Filing Agent Who Will Help You Submit Your Unclaimed Property Claim. Once You Send All The Information Please Try to Be Checking Your Email for a Response From The Agents Thanks.”Despite requesting “filing information,” such as bank routing numbers, Social Security numbers, and cellphone numbers, these scam mailings should be reported to the IRS instead of providing the requested information.
IRS refund scam warning sign
Inaccurate information Another red flag to watch out for is inaccurate information in the scam letters. For instance, the scam letter falsely states that the deadline for filing tax refunds is October 17, whereas the actual IRS deadline this year is October 16. Additionally, the scam mentions the IRS handling “unclaimed property,” whereas the agency deals with unclaimed refunds. It’s important to note that this particular scam is unrelated to legitimate unclaimed tax refunds that may be available at the IRS for those who didn’t file a federal income tax return in 2019.
Approximately $1.5 billion in unclaimed tax refunds remain at the IRS due to taxpayers not filing their 2019 tax returns. Many individuals might have overlooked or forgotten about these refunds during the COVID-19 pandemic. To ensure they don’t miss out, taxpayers have until July 17, 2023, to file their 2019 tax returns if they believe they are due a refund.
How to contact IRS Support
What to do if you receive a scam IRS letter If you receive this letter or any other suspicious mailing or email, it’s crucial not to respond or click on any links in the case of an email. Instead, contact the IRS using the following methods:
- Send the email or a copy of the text or letter to [email protected].
- Report scams to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) or the Internet Crimes Complaint Center (IC3). Visit the IRS Tax Scams: How to Report Them website page for more information.
- Major NSFAS Appointment to Enhance Communication Ahead of 2024
- How Much Pay NSFAS Allowances Will Be For December 2023
- How Does NSFAS Support Part-time Studies?
- NSFAS To Introduce New Funding Model For Students
- The NSFAS Denies A Crisis After Thousands Of Students Aren’t Paid
- NSFAS Spin Doctor Set to Become Spokesperson
- Is NSFAS On The Brink Of A Collapse? Unveiling the Challenges and Reforms
- NSFAS Applications For 2024 Will Open in 2024
- Executive Shakeup at NSFAS Sparks Controversy: Nongogo Axed Over FNB Tender Dispute
- NSFAS Revolutionizes Data Exchange Processes for Enhanced Student Financial Support
- NSFAS Addresses Concerns Raised by the South African Union of Students
- NSFAS 2024 Applications Set to Open Next Week: New Features and Guidelines
sassa1 week ago
Post Office Blocked Sassa Card After Suspected Fraud
blog3 weeks ago
NSFAS Application Status and Meaning 2023-2024
sassa1 week ago
You Can Now Apply for a Basic Income Grant of R999
NSFAS News4 hours ago
Nsfas Appeals For 2023 Now Open
sassa2 weeks ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for October 2023
sassa1 week ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for November 2023
sassa1 week ago
Finally New Grant of R999 for Basic Income Introduced
sassa2 months ago
Here Some Changes In Old Age Pension Grant Payment Date for September 2023